Search site menuicon

Discounts and exemptions

Information about Council Tax discounts and exemptions


You do not have to pay the full rate of Council Tax if you meet certain conditions. The types of discount include:

  • patients resident in hospital
  • people who are being looked after in care homes 
  • people who are severely mentally impaired 
  • 18 to 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • apprentices
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities 
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • people in prison (except those in prison for on payment of Council Tax or a fine) 


Your property may be exempt if it's empty and is:

  • owned by a charity and empty for less than six months
  • empty because the owner or tenant is in prison (unless they are in prison for non-payment of council tax)
  • empty because the owner or tenant has gone into a nursing home or hospital
  • empty because the owner or tenant has died and probate or letters of administration are due
  • prevented by law from being occupied
  • waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
  • empty because someone has moved to become a carer or be cared for
  • empty because a student has left to study elsewhere
  • empty because it's been repossessed
  • a caravan pitch or boat mooring
  • a 'granny annexe' that has planning restrictions

Examples of properties that aren't empty, by may still be exempt

A property can be exempt if it's not empty, for instance if:

  • it's a separate home but part of another property and lived in by a dependent relative
  • it's a student halls of residence
  • only full-time students or school leavers under 20 live there
  • all residents are under 18
  • all residents are severely mentally impaired
  • it's an armed forces barracks or married quarters
  • all residents are members of a visiting force
  • it's lived in by a diplomat or someone with diplomatic immunity

What information do I need to complete this form?

To complete this form, you will need:

  • Your Council Tax reference number
  • Depending on the type of discount or exemption you are applying for, you may need to upload documents as evidence so that we can process your application

Apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption

Submitting your evidence

If you have been asked to provide evidence you can use the button below to submit this.

Submit your evidence