Search site menuicon

How it works

How it's worked out

How we work out Housing Benefit, who qualifies for it and how we pay it

  • If you are single in private rented housing and under the age of 35, the maximum Housing Benefit you can get is the rate for renting a single room in a shared house. This applies even if you rent a self-contained flat.
  • Some students can claim Housing Benefit.
  • Housing Benefit can pay all or part of your rent, depending on your circumstances. It doesn't pay for bills, such as heating, electricity or food.

How much Housing Benefit am I entitled to?

How much Housing Benefit you get depends on your circumstances, including:

  • how much money you have coming in
  • the amount of any savings
  • if you have children
  • if you are disabled
  • who else lives in your home
  • the amount of rent charged

Income and savings

We take into account your earnings and any other income of you and your partner, if you have one.

Earnings include:

  • income after tax, National Insurance contributions and half of anything you pay into a pension
  • business profits after allowable expenses have been deducted if you're self-employed

Other income includes any other money coming in such as:

  • pensions
  • benefits (not including Child Benefit or some disability benefits)
  • savings - over £6,000 if you're under 60, £10,000 if you're over 60

We also take into account capital, such as any property you own.

What is the maximum amount I could receive?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit we can pay is based on your 'eligible rent'.

Eligible rent means the reasonable rent for a suitable property in your area. If you're renting from a private landlord this will depend on your local housing allowance (LHA).

GOV.UK has more information about Housing Benefit , including links to calculators for benefits and LHA.